1. Greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 1.2 million tons of CO2
2. 3 million tons of soil erosion and $70 million in resulting economic damages
3. 4.5 million tons of animal excrement
4. 7 tons of air pollution in the form of ammonia emissions
In that same study, it was found that if everyone went Vegan for One Month, the following global issues could be prevented in the US PER PERSON:
1.160 lbs of crop wasted
2. 8000 gallons of water wasted
3. 1/4 acre of land wasted
4. 1/4 ton of soil erosion
5. Carbon dioxide equivalent to 270 lbs of green house gases
6. Energy wastage equivalent to buying 7 gallons of gasoline.
According to the US Environmental Defense, " if every American skipped one meal of chicken per week and substituted vegetarian foods instead, the carbon dioxide savings would be the same as taking more than half a million cars off of U.S. roads."
Now multiply the above prevention statistics of going vegetarian or vegan by a city's population, a country's population, or the world's population. What if millions or billions of people...the world...switched to a vegetarian or even better a vegan lifestyle. The statistics above would be astronomically "off the chart" in the prevention of environmental damage...and, let's not forget the positive affects on our health where health insurance starts FIRST with what foods you place in your mouth (vegetarian or vegan) and does not start with the actual health insurance policy.
If the world went vegetarian or vegan, there would not be a health or a global issue!
~ Sister Vegetarian